Saturday, December 20, 2008

Saturday started with a big Sleep.

Morning, it is morning right?

Late to the gym Tuesday,
ran 5k, rowed 5k,
shoulder press 18k x8 x3
Dumb-bell curls, 10k each arm-8x4
Some full body weight hanging And a hell of a lot of stretching.
Walked home eating a crunchie. Nom nom.

Wednesday- Work was all encompassing, so I was left with no option but to attempt some yoga, but to be honest heart wasn't in it. After half an hour I headed for a shower.

Thursday, walky walky, into town. There was a kerb/curb/kurb/motherfucking drop and an ouch.

Friday -with the power of painkillers I went first to kickboxing, ( mostly legs this week – gah) then to the weights room.
17.5k dumbbell swings, broken into 9/12/15 repeat thrice. This really works the core and shoulders and back. V hard on tired legs too.
Cable cross, 7.5k x 10 x 2, then 10k x 10. This doesn't seem overly heavy but it is such an awkward blasted move that it is tough. My shoulders are really feeling it today. REALLY feeling it.
Side arm extensions, same weight as above forty in total twenty each arm.
Body weight hanging, three of those, a minute each. Got angry finger pads today because of it. But it's worth it as it stretches the back out and it's good for grip and building up stamina. Harder than you might think, seriously, grab something hang off it, time yourself. after about twenty seconds, you'll notice your shoulders start to complain.

Going for a run in an hour or two, an easy five mile in the park. Nothing too hectic. IN fact nothing this week was too hectic. I think I'm on a slow down.

I am debating on whether or not to do the marathon again next year. I'm also debating on whether or not to join up with a proper MA school and see about getting graded. But graded in what and is 36 too old to start looking for belts and grades? And really, what is the point of it all anyway? I think it's only because I'd like the opportunity to spar against someone properly, but the problem is points. Everything I've ever done is MMA ( mixed martial arts) I don't know that I could be arsed sticking to one form and everything I've read over the last few weeks suggests I'd actually have points docked for some of the moves I would use if faced with a sparing partner I was supposed to try beat. Riddle me that Barman. It's not that I would fight dirty, but I would want to win and not get hurt, so my natural instinct would be to in as hard and heavy as possible not stand back and think about stratgic point scoring.
Also if I do do the marathon this year again I will want to run it properly and at a decent time, no faffing about. But I'm so bloody slow and it takes up so much time to train for it and while I'm lucky in that I work for myself and can MAKE time to do stuff it's still a big commitment.
Anyway, I will ponder on, a gal needs little goals and challenges lest the call of the Jelly babies grows too loud.
Anyone else trying something new or upping the ante next year? perhaps this kind of talk ought to wait for january.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, none of that potty talk until the new year, or Paddy's Day...

12:05 p.m.  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Maybe you just need to get into Cage Fighting...

12:14 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I think you could be right Conan, I asked friend of mine did they want to come on the run today and I got the 'oh god no' response.

Kim, heh, I'd be a small insignificent bloody smear within two seconds. Man those guys are tough. UFC nights used to be a staple part of my television viewing.

12:21 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

You've done the marathon twice now, why not try something new and see about the MA belt?
Then I can live vicariously through your bad ass!

5:46 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

It would be interesting, albeit probably painful. I wonder how long it even takes to get a belt in a MA. I'll find out in the new year I suppose.
Gah, I've to go and get dressed soon and put on make up and do something about the witches broom atop my head. I've no time to hire someone to tame it so I must attemt some control myself, these things always end badly.

5:56 p.m.  
Blogger daisy mae said...

you could always try for an ultra marathon! or set a different goal, such as qualifying for boston, or running in the nyc marathon....


as for me, i've done nothing this week regarding exercise or even eating right - so i'll be living vicariously through you as well!

8:35 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Hah, DM, I think I'd need someone to attach an actual engine to my back to qualify for one of those. Speed is not my friend.

10:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

laughing about the attaching an engine to your back.
I would bein to run a 5k if I could get that done to me!!

11:54 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Looking at how squidgelyspludgey I have become, already, I am now giving thought to getting back in the pool come January.



Remind me about this with a raised eyebrow sometime towards the end of January.

2:33 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

If we could get our paws on jet packs we'd be laughing, laughing and flying about a lot, MizFit.

That's the spirit Conan! Crumble not less ye be crumbly.

3:57 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

half marathon is where to go.
take your marathon time, half it, deduct 15 mins.
there's your target.

8:02 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

You know, you're the second person to mention that to me Stipes ol buddy ol pal. I'm told the 13 miler is the one to run, comfortable distance and pace. I'll pay it some mind come the new year. Speaking of, how is your year shaping up?
Right, now shower and change and out once more. Fie leather chair and poof, do not sidetrack me with your comfortable mocking glances.

8:12 p.m.  
Blogger aquaasho said...

You should consider a foreign marathon, they're brilliant. You could try a big city marathon for the atmosphere or a mountain marathon for the scenery. Either way, you do them for the experience as opposed to the time. :-)
Merry Christmas FMC and happy running!

6:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home