Friday, March 14, 2008

People are strange.

Top of the morning to you chumlies. And may this gingerday find you in solid good cheer. Bank holiday weekends ought to raise the smile, no? Monday of course is St Patrick's day. Or national drinking day, or national wearing green day, so there will no doubt be all sorts of high jinks.
Weird sort of week around the globe, but this story really has me puzzled.

"An American woman's body had became attached to her boyfriend's toilet after she sat on it for two years, police in Kansas said.


"She was not glued. She was not tied. She was just physically stuck by her body," said Bryan Whipple, the sheriff of Ness County.

It appeared the 35-year-old woman's skin had grown around the toilet seat, he added. "It is hard to imagine. ... I still have a hard time imagining it myself."

The woman initially refused emergency medical care but her boyfriend, 36, and police officers finally convinced her to go to hospital.

"We pried the toilet seat off with a pry bar and the seat went with her to the hospital," Mr Whipple said. "The hospital removed it."

The county attorney still has to decide whether any charges should be brought against the boyfriend.

The man told investigators that he brought his girlfriend food and water, and asked her every day to come out of the bathroom.

"And her reply would be, 'Maybe tomorrow'," Mr Whipple said. "According to him, she did not want to leave the bathroom."

The house in Ness City had a second bathroom that he could use.
On Feb 27, the boyfriend called police to report that "there was something wrong with his girlfriend", Mr Whipple said, adding that the man never explained why it took him two years to pick up the phone.

Officers found the woman sitting on the toilet - fully clothed, except for her tracksuit bottoms pulled down to her mid-thigh.

She was "somewhat disoriented" and her legs looked like they had atrophied, the sheriff said. "She said that she didn't need any help, that she was OK and did not want to leave."

She was taken to a hospital in Wichita, about 150 miles away, where she is in a fair condition.

However, the woman has since refused to speak to police. Authorities said they did not know if she was mentally or physically disabled.'

Well I don't know about you, but I'm going to guess she's not exactly right in the head. But wahtever about her, what the hell is the story with the boyfriend? He must have fed and watered her. Two years? The toilet had FUSED with her, her skin had grown around the seat. What on earth would make a woman sit on a toilet for two years? How did she sleep?
I don't understand. I don't, honestly, I've tried to get my head around it, but I just can't.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that story yesterday. Very weird! I can't sit on the toilet for any longer than the required time...2 years?? Oh-be-the-hokey!

9:25 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why that's just crazy talk. Did she wash or change her clothes whilst she was on the toilet Or flush when she went. Imagine the smell. I could never sit on a toilet seat, I'm afraid of other peoples pee. Fair balls to her anyway I wounder will she be in the G book of records.

9:32 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Her legs, they must have been destroyed.
Nonny, it was her own bathroom, surely you'd sit in your own bathroom?

9:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I imagine she was somewhat obese like those people that end up confined to their beds but went for the toilet instead? I just hope the boyfriend had a second toilet.

9:42 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, she would hardly have been able to walk. My house is like a train station so no I don't sit. Forgive me for I am odd.

9:44 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 quick things

How did HE use the toilet? I hope they had two - otherwise his options (outside of walking to the nearest restaurant/cafe/bar were the sink, the bath or sitting on her lap.

Secondly, when leaving work yesterday, I packed up, stood up and said to my colleagues "Gingerday tomorrow"

FMC, do you have some kind of Gingerday Rehab programme - could prove more lucrative that the role of prophet?

9:49 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

There was a second bathroom that he used, but why did he ahve to use it? I mean she was his girlfriend, whatever about her mental status, what possessed him to attend to her while she sat on the loo for two years. Didn't he find anything strange about the situation?

BA, as far as I'm concerned everyday ought to be Gingerday.

9:57 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to non blog people its not.

I got some strange looks - stranger than usual I mean.

So either make with the rehab or have gingerday internationally accepted as the new name for Friday.

10:04 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

"So either make with the rehab or have gingerday internationally accepted as the new name for Friday."
I agree, we should turn boring old Friday into Gingerday, think of the children, why won't people just think of the children.

10:13 a.m.  
Blogger Manuel said...

wonder what she read........I smell a channel 4 doc with one of those crazy titles....."THE WOMAN WHO GREW INTO A TOILET" or something like that

10:18 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Men, Manuel, that's exactly what the paramour said. 'What did she read?'

10:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps she just listened to music - "I got you under my skin" "Stuck on you"?

10:33 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very third policeman-ish

10:51 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine been confined to one space, even you she was mad, how would you do it and what about her family, what happen them?
If she had have gone public when she began her toilet plight she'd be worth a fortune now. People would have queued up to see her, there would have been loo lady merchdise, some people would have claimed she was a saint and brought the ill and condemned to her for blessing and absolution. Had her boyfriend gone to the media sooner or if she had just have stayed on the pot another couple of weeks she would have been loaded. Instead of been written off as a mentaler she would have had a fan club. Just down to bad management.
Incidentally, anyone recommend at good reads for the weekend? I am at a loss.

10:54 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Oh snarf Shebah.

11:06 a.m.  
Blogger James McInerney said...

Sometimes I guess it just takes a long time to go. Eat more fibre is my advice.

11:07 a.m.  
Blogger Lou said...

It's the 'her legs had atrophied' part in a lot of the stories that makes my blood run cold. IMAGINE.

11:13 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I know, I get cramp sitting here at my desk for too long and I have a comfy chair.

11:32 a.m.  
Blogger The Hangar Queen said...

Police are trying to charge the boyfriend with neglect of a dependent adult.It appears she was in his 'care'.

Oh..and it was a mobile home too.

12:27 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

You're joking! But surely the boyfriend left at times? How did she sleep? I have so many questions and all of them rake up the icky.

12:36 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

Kansas is a strange place. We lived there for 4 years like a jail sentence.
I was thinking there were drugs involved, but if it was speed, she would have had to move around, right?

1:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The article I read (after having assiduously avoided the headline for a few days, blech) had the sheriff saying he wasn't qualified to determine whether the "caretaker" boyfriend was also mentally deficient, shall we say, but he guessed as much, and felt he had to bring charges in spite of that likelihood.

Now, I'm going to go back to reading about fluffy bunnies and jellybeans and sunshine.

1:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This must be in the top ten most bizarre stories ever...

1:20 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wiping...?


I don't want any answers or speculation, it's just a rhetorical musing that popped into my head

1:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am glad that the article you posted mentioned that there were 2 loos, all the others I'd read neglected to mention that factoid! Apart from that, the bit that got to me was where the cop said that her skin had grown around the seat! How the hell are they going to separate her from it?!

3:05 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I suppose they'll have to operate and cut her free. Unbelievable really. How could she have kept still enough for her skin to actually grow around the seat?

3:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home