Monday, April 16, 2007

What ho ho ho,

and a bottle of ouch. Nah, not really, slightly stiff shoulders but nothing too achey.
Well now, the run was terrific good fun. The weather was fabulous and 9000 people filled the park.
I made a bit of an error at the start and went too close to the back of the pack (thinking I'd best let the seasoned runners go first) Er, no, it took almost 1 and 3/4 Kilometres before I managed to break out of the crowd. I didn't realise so many folk walked it. I was jogging on the spot in several places waiting for a gap to scamper through, I even had to jump onto the grass now and then. But not to worry. I'll know for next time.
I had my usual laboured run until I hit 4K and then everything slipped into place and I started to gain a spot of ground then, The sun was high at the back of the gallops and by the time we'd hit the Furry Glen-which is a long incline, not especially steep, just long and tiring on tired legs- folk were falling back and I was able to creepy crawl my way ahead.
I bopped home at the 70 min mark, not exactly speedy, but feeling good, and considering my slow start I'm quite pleased.
I got my first ever medal for running, which came on a charming green ribbon, sunburn, and a whole new found love of something I really didn't like at all a year ago. When I passed the 8k mark, I was grinning like a loon. I actually sped up in the last K ( after waving a the brass band).
There is something deeply satisfying about making a demand of your body and it responding to the challange. I can't explain it any better than that. You don't think about it in the gym, and you don't really think about it when you're training, but then when the day comes and you're in your race-or whatever, it could be a fight or a football match, anything really- and you have nothing to fall back on except the work you put in. And that is enough. It's a terrific feeling, a truly sublime moment when you know you'll do your best and you haven't short changed yourself. You can come away smiling and eager for the next challange. You get a little rush. A completely non alcohol/drug related rush.
It's velly cool indeed.
I feel like a convert, a zealot. I might just start dressing up in shorts and a singlet and calling to folk's homes. 'Hello, My name is Fatmammycat' (points at name tag and bib number)' and I'm here to spread the word. Do you feel you're missing something in your life? Suffering from a spiritual thirst that no beer can quench? Have you considered running?'
Anyhoo, thanks for all the good wishes. I appreciate them all.
Yours, wearing her medal over her jammies,
FMC
X

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger aquaasho said...

Well done! That's brilliant, nothing like finishing strong and feeling good! You put it so well, that feeling of pride! Congratulations!

11:11 a.m.  
Blogger The Hangar Queen said...

WoooHooooo..well done FMC..velly well done indeed.Didn't just being part of that give you that extra kick?
Come spread the word round at mine anytime.I'll invite you in,whip up some mojitos and compare squished toes.
Be warned though..I may convert you to cycling.

12:23 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The way I have it figured, being a mathematical wizard and all, is 70 mins less 11 mins, stuck behind walkists, equals 59 minutes. So you did do it within an hour.

1:26 p.m.  
Blogger The Hangar Queen said...

And if you figure them as Old Country Kilometres instead of EU standard ones then you were well under the hour.

1:59 p.m.  
Blogger Andraste said...

Yes, you did much better time than that 70 minutes seems to indicate. I'd still be running/walking/whining well into Tuesday...

Congratulations! I'm impressed, and more than a little envious!

2:26 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Thanks all, it was rollicking good fun I have to say, you should see my farmer Joe tan lines to day. V-neck and brown arms right up to the mid bicep.
mmmmmmojitossssss.

2:40 p.m.  
Blogger Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

Well done! I'm delighted you had so much fun! I'm imagining the soundtrack of your run: Benny Hill at the pesky dodging walkers bit; I Want To Break Free, when you do; The Leader Of The Pack ("you do runrunrun, you do runrun etc.") for the first half; Keep On Running for the second; and of course, Chariots of Fire for dessert as you reach the Finish in cinematic slo-mo, what else could it be to end with.

Wear that medal proudly, sweetie-pie, you deserve it after all your hard work.

3:20 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Cheers Sam, I must admit I'm sorely tempted to wear the medal everywhere. But the Paramour says it's just showboating.

5:45 p.m.  
Blogger FINN said...

when the paramour runs a 10K he can complain about showboating, but until then vamp it up, FMC. congratulations, you did great! did you run to sam's soundtrack above, or did you run to falco's "mashed potato mashed potato"?

are you wiped out today?

6:54 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Ran to a Jeff Buckley, Depeche Mode (2), Rage against the Machine, Blue Amazon, Metallica and a Faithless, it was bippity boppity scrapy dappy music.
Feeling pretty good today, although my shins did complain slightly when I ran for a bus, and there is a tightness across my shoulders. All in all though not suffering.
Your battle of wills was amazing, and I doff my hat to you. I hope you enjoyed the Guinness that you so deserved.

7:11 p.m.  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Congratulations on the run - that was fantastic!

6:50 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Cheers Kim. It was a cracking good day all round.

9:37 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home