Monday, April 23, 2007

London Marathon.

I signed on for the Flora women's mini-marathon today, it's in June. So naturally I was browsing all thing runnery. Then I read the following and I said 'eeeek.' but is a very low voice. I plan to do the Dublin City Marathon this year. Reading this kind of story scares the crap out of me.
Taken from today's UK Independent.


"A 22-year-old runner who was taken ill after completing the London Marathon has died, race organisers said today.

The young man, who has not been named, collapsed after successfully finishing the 26-mile course around the capital.

The marathon's organisers said the runner died peacefully this morning, and offered their "deepest sympathy and condolences" to his family and friends.

A spokeswoman for the organisers said a second runner, who had been in a critical condition in hospital last night, was better today and had been transferred to a normal ward.

Sweltering heat left scores of contestants needing medical treatment.

Temperatures hit just below 21C at midday, almost equalling the 1996 record, and rose slightly higher later in the day.

Runners reported "nightmare" conditions as ambulance staff said they dealt with a higher than usual number of patients.

London Ambulance Service said this year's event, which attracted a record 36,391 runners, was "busier" than usual, with participants and spectators affected by the heat.

A spokeswoman said some people were suffering heat-related problems such as dehydration as well as sprains and other injuries.

A London Marathon spokeswoman said 57 people were taken to hospital.

St John Ambulance said it treated 5,032 people.

Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, who was running his eighth marathon, said the conditions were "extraordinary".

He said: "It was like running in a desert today. I stopped to help one guy. It was quite bad. They were dropping like flies."

Another runner, Michelle Dewberry, who won the BBC television show The Apprentice, said she saw someone being resuscitated after about four miles.

She said: "I have seen lots of people passed out and being resuscitated. It is scary, scary stuff."

Champion athlete Liz McColgan, who won the marathon in 1996, said some runners were in trouble.

She said: "I saw a lot of people walking with cramps and things. I think a lot were suffering."

England rugby World Cup team member Matt Dawson said he saw other runners pass out in front him.

He said: "You could see people just burning up in front of you, as I was.' "


Eek, I say.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently drinking too much water is as dangerous as drinking too little - something about the brain swelling - not a very nice thought. Every year somebody dies at the London Marathon, often after they have just completed the race and the sheer magnitude of numbers makes it difficult for help to get to all who need it. I don't think anybody would expect a 22 year old to be in danger of dying.

3:51 p.m.  
Blogger Kav said...

Not meaning to make light of that tragedy, but what the fuck do people expect? One a year is a pretty low average, when you think about it. Yer man who the marathon is named after, or run in commemoration of, or whatever, guess what happened him after he ran 26.odd miles? He DIED.

However, I am sure you'll be fine Cat. I have confidence in your abilities, and wholeheartedly support your worthy ambition.

4:21 p.m.  
Blogger aquaasho said...

Hi FMC
Make sure to get a runners or joggers number for the WMM. If you end up with the walkers you could spend forever getting over the start line. There's as many in the WMM as in London Marathon.
Good luck with the training! How are the knees since BUPA?

5:03 p.m.  
Blogger FINN said...

keep in mind these were "extraordinary conditions" FMC. and though you can't control the weather, you can adapt to it in the way you dress, hydrate, pace yourself, etc.

what is a mini-marathon, btw? you aren't a dwarf. do you have to wear a short skirt? does the winner receive a Mini Cooper?

goodonyah for signing up!

5:33 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Hi Aishling, believe it or not the knees have not given me a moment's trouble-touch wood-since I got the new runners. I'm just back from the gym now and I trotted 8k which felt like twenty-eight because I did the Glendalough hike on saturday.
I was reading about your most awe inspiring run over at yours the other night, even reading it made my tired. Well done.
And don't worry, I won't be making the same mistake as BUPA, I'm going to push up as near to the runners as possible.

See the girl below your post, that is Miss Finn, also awesome runner and all round super fit lady.



MIss Finn, no coopers, it's a ten K run, but it raises money for char-i-dee. I've got sponsorship cards to fill and innocent friends and family to fleece for donations. What larks!
Damn this running stuff is slightly addictive is it not? Worse than crack I should imagine.

7:42 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't the mini marathon a 10k run? i.e. 6 miles, or a quarter of a marathon roughly.
I don't think you need to worry about dying during a 10k run to be honest!

10:29 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

It is nonny mouse, that's not the one I'm worried about, it's the FULL marathon I'm doing in October that is making me go 'eek.'

10:39 p.m.  
Blogger Manuel said...

"Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, who was running his eighth marathon, said the conditions were "extraordinary"."

I'm sure what he meant to say was "thats a lot of fucking bollocks out there you cunt, now piss off with your stupid fuck questions you tosser..."

Best of luck though FMC, Little Miss Manuel is doing the Belfast marathon in May. I, for reasons such as being a lazy fat git, am not.

10:42 p.m.  
Blogger Fat Sparrow said...

"Temperatures hit just below 21C at midday, almost equalling the 1996 record, and rose slightly higher later in the day."

Right, I'm a bit confused here, being an American and all. According to my thermometer, 21C is about 75F, which is slightly above room temperature. I hardly think that qualifies as a "desert." I live in an arid climate, and while the official desert is some 60 miles away, it routinely gets above 110F here in my city in the summer, and last year our record temp was 119F. Again, according to my thermometer, that's about 49C.

I know people (not me, I don't run unless chased) out here run marathons when the temperature's 80 to 90F, so am I missing something here?

1:19 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I can almost hear him saying 'Fack you heat, call yourself hot? You facking idiot, I'll show you facking hot!'
What age is little Miss Manuel? And good for her by the way. I am fairly new to this running lark but it is strangely addictive.
Fat Sparrow, you're right, but 21 degree in April is very high for here and we're just not used to it, so running 26.2 miles in it would be over whelming. I expect the runners get used to running in higher temperatures but it take time and just reading some accounts this morning a lot of people were completely caught out.

10:07 a.m.  
Blogger Manuel said...

Thank you for asking, LMM is 25, thats ten years my junior. Tremendous....

11:07 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nonny mouse again. The Dublin Marathon in October? Then you still have nothing to worry about! It will be cold in October!

Just don't drink too much, you will upset your potassium levels by drinking too much which is what can lead to heart failure. Wasn't there a woman recently who died in a water drinking competition and it was suggested it was because she had caused a salt imbalance.

You'll be fine! Has anyone ever died in the Dublin marathon? I'm not aware of anyone. (Doesn't mean to say no one did).

7:45 p.m.  
Blogger The Hangar Queen said...

Hyponatremia is what that's called.Drinking excess fluids cause you to sweat more in high heat and that leaches salts (esp.sodium) out of you.We had a bike cop drop dead here a couple of summers ago because of it.
Er...maybe I should have said "well done old gel" and "You'll crush the marathon" before the other bit.

BTW..partly due to you I've entered the Army 10 miler in October.(26,000 runners expected) I've a 100 mile bike ride the day before it so I might have to take it easy on the bevvy and fags that week.

4:39 a.m.  
Blogger aquaasho said...

Hi FMC, very impressed with Miss Finn (she trains hard!?)(am hijacking your comments here, sorry)

To nonny mouse, there was one fatality last year in Dublin. That's the only one there's been for as long as I know. http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/news.php?article=117

hi hangar queen, I've wanted to do the Marine Corps marathon for a few years now but it always clashes with Dublin. Might go next year (2008). I have friends in Virginia and love that part of the world.

10:30 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

She surely does Aishling, very hard indeed.
Miss Queen! Well done, ten miles the day after a 100 miles bike ride is going to be tough on the old legs all right, but as I've discovered much to my glee that if you put a bit of training in the body seems to knwo waht it's doing.
I'm sure you'll be fabulous.

10:52 a.m.  
Blogger The Hangar Queen said...

FMC,
You're right..the bod knows best.The bike thing is a doddle but I do love it so.I'll finish around two pm soak in the bath,eat like a horse,sleep like the dead and the next day I shall run like I'm dead too.

hello there aquaasho.Sign up for the Marine Corps next year and I'll join you.
That is the best time to be in Virginia alright..it's perfect running weather too.
(That would be sign up for the USMC marathon as signing up for the Marines might have you running alright)

3:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home